Thursday, January 6, 2011

David Lynch Is a Fraud



I remember watching Mulholland Drive right after college. Probably eight years ago. I was fascinated with it. One of those movies that you rent (when you still rented movies) and immediately rewound and watched again. I thought there was something to be sought, some puzzle I had to use my brain and/or art appreciation skills to figure out. Something meaningful was being said with this movie. There was Pandora's box, and it opened this alternate universe where the blond actress was what she actually wanted to be? I became interested in David Lynch at this point. I watched Lost Highway, Blue Velvet. I remember my interest being sustained. This guy really has something to say. What is it? Does anyone know?

Anyway.

Netflix brought me Twin Peaks. I started getting pissed. Like. Seriously. I didn't even finish the series I got so annoyed. Who killed Laura Palmer? I didn't care.

I had entered some movies into my Netflix queue. I don't remember what sort of random thing I was reading. I have two queues on Netflix, one for regular movies and one for horror movies. I love scary movies. I think I was trying to populate my queue, and David Lynch sneaked in on some sort of list I saw about the best mind-blow movies. This is where Eraserhead came in, and now that I am going through that list, ALL of David Lynch's movies entered. I watched Eraserhead. I got pissed. I realized that David Lynch is like that annoying person that you don't care about that tries to tell you about a dream he/she had, which you double don't care about. Imagine. You are at Denny's. It is 2am. Your waitress comes for your Moons over My Hammy order, and instead of getting back to the kitchen to deliver said order, she stands there for 10 minutes telling you some dream about her dead aunt being obsessed with sugar and getting carried away in some tornado. All of David Lynch's movies are about him getting us to watch (and PAY to watch in some cases) an annoying, stupid acid trip he had. None of his movies make sense, and from my internet searches, HE can't even make sense of them.

I am pissed. I am annoyed that I was duped into watching this nonsensical BS with the hopes that it had some sort of philosophical meaning. David Lynch is a fraud. Anyone who tries to wax philosophical about his idiot movies or about Twin Peaks is a fraud. Deal with it. My recommendation? Don't waste your time. Also, don't tell people about your dreams. No one cares.

1 comment:

  1. Ummm...probably one of the awesomest posts ever. 1) You are right. 2) You worked in Moons Over My Hammy. Unreal.

    ReplyDelete