Thursday, July 15, 2010

Chicken Pasta Primavera

I'm making an effort to cook at home more. It's healthier and less expensive and food just tastes better when there is labor involved. Luckily, I didn't cut myself tonight making dinner. I'm getting more skilled with the knives, or as my brother would say, "blades." :)

Chicken Pasta Primavera

1 rotisserie chicken
8oz whole wheat spaghetti
3c broccoli florets
2c sliced mushrooms
1 tomato, chopped
1 heaping tbsp minced garlic (I like garlic)
3.5oz jar pesto
3/4c fat-free evaporated milk
olive oil
salt
pepper

Boil a pot of water for the pasta. Pull the meat from the chicken and shred into bite-size pieces. I leave the skin on because it adds great flavor while cooking. Set aside. Add the pasta to the water, reduce heat to M and in about 10min you should have the desired texture. Drain the pasta and set aside. While the pasta is cooking, heat some olive oil in a large skillet at M/H and add the minced garlic. Once I hear the garlic start to sizzle, I add my chopped vegetables, first the broccoli, then the mushrooms, and finally the tomatoes. Watch the broccoli. Once it becomes bright and tender, but still crisp, the vegetables should be done. Add the chicken to the vegetables and stir until the chicken is heated through. Add salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat to L and stir in the cooked spaghetti. Spoon the pesto on top of the mixture and stir until the pesto is combined. Remove the skillet from heat and add the milk. Again, stir to combine.

I use rotisserie chicken for most recipes calling for chicken. The flavor is great and it is simple to combine it into many dishes.

Also, you need a pretty large skillet to be able to fit everything in this recipe. I don't mess around with any measly 10" skillets.

This recipe is great. The pesto really highlights the chicken and vegetables well and the sweetness of the milk pulls everything together. I mean, who doesn't love pesto anyway? Plus, I get to eat dinner for like a week on this recipe... which is awesome because I am pathetic and can't afford to go to the grocery store until next Friday.



2 comments:

  1. I have never had pesto. Hmmm....what does it taste like? Is it that greenish colored sauce or am I thinking of something else?

    You are becoming quite the cook it sounds!

    Next time, post a picture of the finished product so we can all see how yummy it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's made of basil, olive oil, parmesan, and pine nuts. Yes, it is green and a little goes a LONG way. I spread a little bit on top of cream cheese for bagels. MMMMM.

    ReplyDelete